Monday, April 9, 2012

A Frustrating Room

When we first moved into this house, it was supposed to be for 2 or so years. It was sufficient. I'm not a big cook (ask my poor husband!). So why did I dream and "pinterest" my way to remodeling our kitchen?

For our family. For homework, for dinner with friends. For better use of what previously was a frustrating space. Maybe for resale? For a place to come home to that I love and that feels warm and inviting. 

A friend asked me to document our endeavor. So here it goes...(This is for you, Angie!):

                                                             Our kitchen before:


Why I disliked it:

1) Big unused (waste of space) eat in kitchen that we don't use b/c it's too small for a table.

2) Not enough counter or cabinet space.

3)Cabinets. Builder Grade and not a big fan of the oak.

4) High Counter/Junk Space. Too close to the table to fit bar stools. Not enough overhang for bar stools anyhow! It made the rooms feel too separate. 

5) Kids too far away when they are working on homework, while I try to make dinner. "Sure, I can help you with math. Hang on, while I turn the stove off, so dinner doesn't burn." 

6) The floor. So the vinyl floor actually wasn't awful--it was easy to clean and to keep looking clean. No worries about scratches or liquids if they landed on it. But it butted up to carpet in the family room, (which was disastrous. Light carpets with kids and a dog don't work.), and made the rooms feel small and too separate again. 

What I hoped for:

1) A kitchen that I would maybe, just maybe enjoy (just slightly) cooking in.

2) Eat in counter that the kids could do homework at, nearby while I cook.

3) White cabinets. Granite Counters (I do like to bake). Wood floors. A traditional, but rustic look.

4) For the kitchen/morning room/family room to flow together as one congruent space.

5) For more cabinets/counter space and a cabinet for the trash can to go in. 
That's about it...and I even ended up with a bit more than I originally hoped for!

Stay posted to see the transformation...




2 comments:

  1. Woman! You have fantastic taste! So glad to see you've started a blog with your house project! This way I can learn all your trickses...so if we ever end up owning a house... *sigh* Looks beautiful so far. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE -- did I say LOVE!!!!!? your floors. Color me JEALOUS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz...it's been fun, mostly. Except for when I overly-stress about parts. I have some wonderful friends who have helped me with some of the details, thankfully! Come visit--I miss you!

      Delete